Saturday 5 May 2018

101 in 1001 - Food Foraging: Dryads Saddle

Dryads Saddle (Polyporus squamosus)
Whilst out for a walk this afternoon, I came across some fungi growing on a tree stump. As it was Dryads Saddle (Polyporus squamosus), decided to take a small amount of it to make something for the 101 in 1001 goal:

091. Go foraging and make something with the resulting finds.

I found it growing on a tree that had fallen across a stream in the area below (forgot to take a photo of it from far away):

Stream
Me (left) walking along the river path
There were countless insects - especially bees, beetles, hoverflies and butterflies (orange tips, commas, peacocks, and holly blues) - and the trees were ringing with all kinds of birds/birdsong. It was so beautiful and peaceful. 

Comma Butterfly (Polygonia c-album)
Peacock Butterfly (Inachis io)
I also spotted a buzzard in the sky, being chased off by a carrion crow several times, as it was circling above.

Crow (Corvus corone) and Buzzard (Buteo buteo):
After a swooping crow attack
After collecting some Dryads Saddle and returning home, I then had to decide what to do with it.

Dryads Saddle, looking like pizza slices
As I was preparing them for other people as well as myself, I decided to make something with a somewhat stronger flavour than the traditional "fried in butter and lemon" recipe. I opted for something  similar to a vegan tagine in the end:

Using the Dryads Saddle
Truthfully, these mushrooms are quite chewy when picked at the age (a little older) these were, but the flavour of them really came through and complimented the dish. Whilst I don't think I'd eat these regularly, I'm glad I tried them!

2 comments:

  1. Your vegan tagine looks tasty!
    Don't think I'd have the guts to eat something I'd foraged, unless it was blackberries ^^; Couldn't easily recognise one fungi from another and knowing me I'd poison myself ^^;;;
    Looks like you had a good time out on your walk. Nature is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      Dryads Saddle are really difficult to confuse with other fungi that grow here because they look very distinctive. But I agree about not foraging for fungi in general, because some look so similar to each other & I'm not that skilled at telling the difference. I'd probably end up poisoned too! lol
      But yes, nature is awesome! :D

      Delete

☆Thank you for imagining another part of this paracosm☆

Featured

365 Days of Art: I don't know you...

205. I don't know you... This is the latest picture for the 365 Days of Art challenge, number 205: "I don't know you...&...