Tuesday 8 May 2018

101 in 1001 - Grow 5 Types of Fruit & Vegetables

Seed packets
Above are some seeds that I got for number 14 on the 101 in 1001 list:

014. Plant and grow 5 types of fruit & vegetables.

Spring onions, spinach, kale and kalettes


I planted them yesterday, so it will be a little while before I find out whether or not they're growing. If they don't, I have some seeds leftover, so I can amend my growing technique and try again.

Peas



Kale & kalettes



















Last week, I also planted two shallots, as they had already started sprouting in the vegetable cupboard!
Shallot in the back garden



Shallot in the front garden



















One was planted in my front garden and the other in a pot in my back garden. I'm not sure which way is best, but both of them have grown a lot since being planted, are now headed straight up instead of to the side, and seem to be doing well (the front garden shallot was bigger to start with).

Shallot growing in front garden
As I had an avocado seed I looked up how to grow them. It seems that the best way to germinate them is in water, with the root side down and the sprouting side facing upwards. The water should only cover the very bottom of the seed and needs to be changed every 2 days. Apparently avocados take 3-6 weeks to start showing any signs of growth, so we'll see what happens!

Avocado seed "planted" in water
I also grow potatoes, apples, strawberries and blackberries, but I'm not including those in this goal because I started doing that a long time before I began the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

☆Thank you for imagining another part of this paracosm☆

Featured

365 Days of Art: I don't know you...

205. I don't know you... This is the latest picture for the 365 Days of Art challenge, number 205: "I don't know you...&...