Monday 28 September 2015

The Moors and The Moon

With my friend on Dartmoor
As I'm sure everyone is already aware, September 28th (UK time) was both a super Harvest moon and a total lunar eclipse, which are event that won't occur again together for another 30 years! Due to this, my friend, my mother and I decided to spend the early hours of the morning out on Dartmoor, where there is very little light pollution and hardly any buildings to obstruct the view. 


Mist particles swirling in the wind.

We got there at around 1am and, although it was rather overcast, the wind was whipping the clouds and mist about rapidly enough that it was still possible to view the eclipse.


My friend is dazed by the flash, whilst I gaze at the Moon.

At around 2:30am, the temperature began to drop and so my mother and my friend went to find a sheltered spot to make some soup to keep us warm, whilst I looked after our things. 




Although I have to admit that I did get a little bit distracted and went clambering around on some rocks  in the dark for a while! It was so peaceful sitting up there.


These are higher than they seem.

4:30am approached and it was time to leave, so we packed up and headed back. However, we did stop along the way to have one last look at the Moon and I managed to take one, very poor photograph of it in its rusty, hidden state:

The Super Harvest Moon Eclipse.

However, I wasn't too disappointed, because I got to see it with my eyes and had a wonderful night as well. There are some stunning photographs and time-lapse videos available elsewhere online though, should you want to see them! ;D

1 comment:

  1. It's so awesome that you got to go out and watch the eclipse! It sounds like a great experience!

    ReplyDelete

☆Thank you for imagining another part of this paracosm☆

Featured

365 Days of Art: I don't know you...

205. I don't know you... This is the latest picture for the 365 Days of Art challenge, number 205: "I don't know you...&...