Sunday 20 September 2015

Vintage & Retro Fair and a Detour to a Burlesque Shop (with Bonus Dinosaurs)


On Saturday there was a vintage and retro fair held in Torquay town hall, so I decided to go along with a friend of mine and check it out, since the one at Torre Abbey had been enjoyable! There were lots of stalls selling items mainly from eras ranging from the 1920s - 1960's, though some were a little older and some were a little newer. 

Some vintage magazine covers for Pan and Pearls Soap adverts on one of the stalls caught my eye, but, ultimately, I didn't end up buying them. I did, however, purchase two rather lovely items, for even lovelier prices.

A necklace with two flies and a beetle.

The above necklace is approximately 5.5 inches (14cm) across, really unusual and so detailed!  The bodies of the flies are covered in a thick, textured fabric, but everything else is either molded or done in enamel effect. Perhaps it's not to everyone's taste, but I love things like this and am also very fond of insects, so it was a great find for £2.50! 

The other item I bought was the brooch below, which is about 1.5 inches (3.8cm) across and is a beautiful deep red colour. It was £1.50 and is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for to go with a ring I have.



Apparently there had been singing and dancing earlier in the morning, but we didn't arrive in time to see it (sorry Sandy Sparkle, I'm sure you were fabulous!). However, the DJ was still playing retro classics the whole time we were there and, although it wasn't really my kind of music, it did add to the atmosphere of the event and it was a nice touch.

After the fair we walked to the indoor market via the high street and saw something about Dinosaur World in vacant shop window on the way there:


Dinosaurs hiding in the windows!
At the indoor market, we headed for a burlesque-themed shop called Annie's Boutique. Despite its little size, it always has a good selection of gothic, rockabilly/psychobilly, burlesque and retro inspired items for sale, including dresses, skirts, jewellery, accessories, shoes, and corsets. According to the website, Annie also offers a free personal corset fitting service, but I haven't tried it out on the occasions I've visited the shop.

However, I did buy a fascinator and a rather lovely hat/hair pin:



You may have realised this by now, but I'm rather fond of costume jewellery. I much prefer things that I think look ornate and interesting as opposed to those that simply have monetary value. Not that I could afford those expensive ones even if I did want them, haha!

When we got back, my friend wanted to mess about taking some photos of me, so we did that. Those are all that're under the cut below, so feel free to skip them! ;D


Contemplating something mischievous...

...or just zoning out...

A photo purely included here to show what my hair was like that day.
What a face, haha!

Looking off to the side is my default.

I've had these shoes for years and still love them.

The fascinator from Annie's Boutique.

How vintage.


Bonus naughty Countess the cat on the counter.
Consolation for scrolling through all the "me", haha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

☆Thank you for imagining another part of this paracosm☆

Featured

365 Days of Art: I don't know you...

205. I don't know you... This is the latest picture for the 365 Days of Art challenge, number 205: "I don't know you...&...