Monday 8 February 2021

003: Watch/finish 20 foreign language films/shows - Part 1

Yesterday I continued number 3 on my 101/1001 list: Watch/finish 20 foreign language films/shows. I had initially intended to watch films in the languages I'm learning (Thai, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, German), but they may not all be. 3 down, 17 to go!

Name:
Inhuman Kiss (แสงกระสือ)
Language: Thai
Year: 2019
Genre: Horror, Romance
Rating: 15
Director: Sitisiri Mongkolsiri
Starring: Phantira Pipityakorn, Oabnithi Wiwattanawarang, Sapol Assawamunkong 
Synopsis: In 1940s Thailand, a young girl becomes a krasue (type of demon in Thai mythology) lives a normal life by day, but at night her detached head seeks out flesh and blood.

Thoughts: First of all, I have to confess that I chose to watch this film because the actor who plays Jerd ("Great" Sapol Assawamunkong) is also in a show I really like - and I'm glad I did! I really enjoyed it. I love films where the "monster" is to be sympathised with instead of feared. If you want a happy feel-good ending, then this is probably not for you, but if you like mythology mixed with some romance and  horror, then you'll probably love it, like I did.




Name:
Sputnik (спутник)
Language: Russian
Year: 2020
Rating: 15
Genre: Horror, sci-fi
Director: Egor Abramenko
Starring:  Oksana Akinshina, Fedor Bondarchuk, Pyotr Fyodorov
Synopsis: The lone survivor of an enigmatic spaceship incident hasn't returned back home alone - hiding inside his body is a dangerous creature.

Thoughts: Although the film has a similar feel and theme to the Alien film series (which I love), it takes a different angle on it. The main theme, to me, seems to be how the way people behave and view each other creates the responses they get back. I really enjoyed this film♥




Name: Under the Shadow
Language: Persian
Year: 2016
Rating: 15
Genre: Psychological Horror
Director:  Babak Anvari
Starring:  Narges Rashidi, Avin Manshadi, Bobby Naderi
Synopsis: A mother and daughter are haunted by a mysterious evil in 1980s Tehran, during the War of the Cities.

Thoughts: This is a film about djinn, set against the background of a family trying to survive during the War of Cities in 1980's Tehran. It's an understated horror and works well. I did find the little girl a tad annoying in places, but not enough to ruin the film. I enjoyed Under the Shadow, but of these three it was probably my least favourite.


No comments:

Post a Comment

☆Thank you for imagining another part of this paracosm☆

Featured

365 Days of Art: I don't know you...

205. I don't know you... This is the latest picture for the 365 Days of Art challenge, number 205: "I don't know you...&...